Don’t know yet where to go? Some ideas of beautiful places possible for daytrips:
- Elva – small town within beautiful landscape: Elva is about 20 km away from Tartu and you can get there by train or by bike over the LAT-EST cycling route (free maps in the tourist information Tartu). Around Elva, there is hilly landscapes with lots of small lakes and rivers. Also lots of hiking trails can be found here.
- Elistvere nature park: an interestingly different kind of zoo which is in the forest. Animals here live in their natural environment and I am sure you will enjoy your day in the woods.
- Võrtsjärv: beautiful lake at the border between Viljandimaa and Tartumaa with lots of birds. It is about 35 km away from Tartu
- Peipsijärve – at the border to Russia: Another beautiful lake in Estonia and it is also not far from Tartu. One possibility to go there is to take a bus to Kallaste. When the sun is shining, it is a calmful and interesting place.
- Värska and Setumaa: a region in Southeastern Estonia with a very distinctive ethnic group and culture. People there speak Setu language which is similar to Estonian, are orthodox and live their traditions. I haven’t been there yet, but it will definitely be one of my upcoming destinations!
And now, enjoy your journeys and spring time🙂