HOW IS IT LIKE TO BE A SOFTWARE ENGINEERING STUDENT IN TARTU – KERWIN (PHILIPPINES)
Well, if you want to know about the technical details of the program, you can visit the university website (http://software.cs.ut.ee/). But if you want to know how your life could be when you embark this journey as a Software Engineering student, you might find this blog interesting.
1. In the first semester, you get to go to two universities in Estonia (University of Tartu and Tallinn University of Technology). This also means that you will get a degree from both universities. But you need to wake up early at least once a week to travel for about 5 hours to Tallinn and back to Tartu. In the first few weeks, we were like this at the beginning of the trip …
… and after the trip, we were like this
2. You will be working with different programming languages such as Ruby, F#, Java, Angular, R, and Python. And you will learn a lot of technologies in code management, deployment, and continuous integration.
3. You can attend a lot of hackathons that help you grow your network and maybe someday establish your own company. The events are mostly free or sponsored by different organizations.
4. Let’s face it, in our field, there may be days that you will need to burn the midnight oil. You may need to work really late at night to finish up coursework or you may just really like what you are doing and find a way to learn as much as you can.
5. You can go for an Erasmus semester and work with your thesis at the same time. For our batch, some went to Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Slovakia where you can have an opportunity to take courses or have an internship in that place.
6. You will need to collaborate with your colleagues. You will learn how to find a way to work well with others in order to make an output that you will be proud of in the end. For example, agree what to wear in a class.
7. You can take courses in other disciplines. You have all the power to decide which courses you want to take and control your schedule. Just make sure that you will be able to take mandatory courses. Some classes can be in other towns like in Viljandi.
8. One of the best and generic answers in class discussions is “IT DEPENDS”.
9. Yes, there are a lot of school works. But there is still time to relax. The best time is after the exams.
There are more things that go around when you become a student of Software Engineering at the University of Tartu. Just be ready to integrate into the community and learn as much as you can in the class and in the various industry tasks. Estonia is one of the countries in the world that has big support in Information technology.